This is the love handles workout for minimalists.
Are you a minimalist looking for a simple and effective love handles workout?
You found it! 🙂
Today I’m sharing a VERY a streamlined, no fuss, no equipment workout routine.
Whether you prefer to exercise at home or have limited time, this workout is perfect for you.
The minimalist approach of this workout focuses on the essential exercises that maximize results.
Allowing you to sculpt and tone your waistline efficiently.
Say goodbye to love handles and hello to a snatched, sexy waist!
Love Handles Workout for Minimalists: How this Workout Works
This workout burns fat stored in the love handles area by combining the best, and most effective standing exercises only. By removing the need to go on the floor, your body is forced to burn more calories and fat with much less effort.
In addition, the exercises in this workout were specially selected by a Certified Personal Trainer and designed to target and strengthen the deep core and oblique muscles to give your waist a tighter, more toned appearance.
When paired with a healthy, balanced approach to eating, this love handles workout is excellent for reducing fat and achieving a slimmer midsection.
Exercises in this Workout for Love Handles
Love Handles Workout for Minimalists Exercise 1: knee to elbows
Want to avoid doing knee to elbows incorrectly? Try this Premium workout video. It’s free for 14 days.
Quick tips to do knee to elbows correctly.
- Imagine a string connecting your knee and elbow to enhance muscle engagement.
- Aim to bring your knee as close to your elbow as possible without compromising your form or straining your lower back.
- Keep your shoulders down and away from your ears to avoid unnecessary tension in the upper body.
- Breathe steadily throughout the exercise, inhaling deeply as you prepare to bring your knee to your elbow and exhaling as you extend your leg back out to the starting position.
- Don’t panic if you feel a burn in your thigh as you do this exercise. It is totally normal and will subside as your core gets stronger and begins to do more of the work
Love Handles Workout for Minimalists Exercise 2: Single tray taps
Want to avoid doing Single tray taps incorrectly? Try this Premium workout video. And be confident you’re not wasting any time. Try it free for 14 days.
Quick tips to do Single tray taps correctly.
- try to keep your feet moving at all times throughout the single tray taps exercise
- make sure your arms aren’t drooping too low towards your waist
- raise your arms as high as possible elbows should be around chin level or higher
- with your arms, imagine you’re trying to clap with your elbows and you’ll be on the right track
- keep your core engaged to stabilize your body
Love Handles Workout for Minimalists Exercise 3: penguin crunch
Want to avoid doing penguin crunch incorrectly? Try this Premium workout video. It’s free for 14 days.
Quick tips to do penguin crunch correctly.
- If you find it challenging to touch your elbow to the knee in the twist, start by performing partial range of motion.
- Try to keep your hands parallel to the floor
- Pay attention to your overall body alignment throughout the exercise. Keep your back straight, shoulders relaxed, and maintain a neutral neck position. Avoid slouching or rounding your back.
- Be mindful of any excessive strain on your neck. Instead of pulling your head forward, keep your chin slightly lifted and gaze forward to maintain a natural alignment
- Try to mentally focus on your abs and waist as you raise each leg. This will enhance your mind-muscle connection and the effectiveness of the penguin crunch
Love Handles Workout for Minimalists Exercise 4: quick high knees
Want to avoid doing quick high knees incorrectly? Try this Premium workout video. It’s free for 14 days.
Quick tips to do quick high knees correctly.
- Keep your toes pointed forward
- Bend knees softly Try to bring your knees high enough to reach your waistline This means you’re aiming to have your thighs are parallel to the ground each time you raise your leg
- Basically, you’re making a 90 degree angle with your legs with each raise (or at least trying to)
- Keep back straight (do your best)
- Keep core engaged (suck in your stomach but continue to breathe)
- Keep your head and eyes forward (avoid looking at the ground)
Love Handles Workout for Minimalists Exercise 5: wide knee to elbows
Want to avoid doing wide knee to elbows incorrectly? Try this Premium workout video. It’s free for 14 days.
Quick tips to do wide knee to elbows correctly.
- This is an exercise I sometimes jokingly call “hubba hubba” 😂. Keep this is mind and you will find it surprisingly easy to do the exercise with great form!
- Keep your arms in the active position throughout the exercise. You want a straight line from elbow to shoulder
- Use your breath as a tool for stability. Inhale deeply before initiating the movement, and as you exhale, engage your core and feel the power transferring from your center to your limbs.
- Start with a slower pace and focus on maintaining proper form. As you become more comfortable and confident, you can gradually increase the speed and intensity of the movement.
3 Love Handles Tips for Minimalists
Skip These Types of Carbs
Refined carbohydrates include white bread, white pasta, hard candy, gas station food, grocery store donuts, and more.
These foods contribute to weight gain and storage of fat as love handles.
Instead, of these foods, it’s best to choose whole grains such as brown rice, quinoa, and whole wheat bread.
These whole grain foods provide more fiber, nutrients, and support the body in losing love handles.
Do 30 Minutes of Structured Exercise
Do your best to get in at least 30 minutes of structured exercise everyday (except your rest days).
This can be anything from belly fat workouts to love handles workouts.
The main thing is to have a dedicated 30 minutes to structured exercise.
In addition to this, if you have time, incorporate other forms of movement into your day like walking, stretching, cycling or swimming.
Although any movement is better than no movement at all, 30 minutes of dedicated time for a structured workout is the gold standard for maintaining consistency.
And consistency is the King, Queen, Bishop, and Jury when it comes to losing love handles (or any kind of fat).
We have to stay consistent with our workouts to see results.
Try Mindful Eating
Practicing mindful eating can help reduce love handles.
Eating mindfully just means eating slowly and with intention.
This was (still is) a hard one for me personally but I try my best each meal.
In the beginning of my mindful eating journey, I actually had to set a timer to force myself to chew more. 😅
Some people recommend chewing each bite 30 times before swallowing.
It’s definitely a worthy goal to aspire to when eating more mindfully.
By eating mindfully, it is easier to pay attention to hunger and fullness cues. It also helps us to pay attention to the emotions driving us to eat particular foods.
This way, we make conscious choices about the food we eat. Instead of automatic, subconscious ones.
Love Handles Workout for Minimalists Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What body type gets love handles?
There are two body types that are most likely to develop love handles.
They are the body types known as the “apple” and “pear” shapes.
These are the two body types that are highly pre-disposed to storing fat in the waist, hips, and thighs.
That being said, body type is a TINY factor when it comes to love handles. Factors with much more impact and significance are diet, exercise, genetics, hormones, and sleep.
If any of these significant factors are overlooked, *any* body type can (and does) develop love handles.
- In addition to body type/shape, some people have a genetic predisposition to store fat in their belly area. Such people tend to also easily develop love handles.
- Elevated cortisol is a very common hormonal imbalance. This imbalance can cause increased fat storage around the waistline = love handles.
- Consuming a lot of simple processed sugars (like soda or sweetened lemonade) also help to boost fat storage in the love handle area.
My advice: don’t worry too much about body shape / type.
Your natural shape is exactly the right shape that was perfectly meant for you.
Are there any specific diet tips or nutritional recommendations that can help in getting rid of love handles?
Yes, there are specific diet tips and nutritional recommendations that can help in getting rid of love handles.
Love handles, also known as excess fat around the waistline, can be stubborn to get rid of, but with the right diet and nutrition, it is possible to reduce their appearance.
1. Correct Nutrition Goals
The first thing to look at is your nutrition goals.
Because the way to eat to lose love handles is totally different from the way to eat to grow a booty.
I see WAY too many women trying to lose love handles and GROW a booty at the same time.
Let’s not do that this year 😊
This year, let’s eat according to our goals.
The next tip follows from here.
2. Calorie Deficit Goal
To lose love handles, the correct nutrition goal is to create a calorie deficit.
A calorie deficit means consuming fewer calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight.
The amount of this deficit (200 calories? 300? 500?) is totally and completely up to you.
To achieve a calorie deficit, you can reduce portion sizes, choose unprocessed foods, and avoid drinking calories (soda, lemonade, etc.)
📝 Please don’t assume that a bigger calorie deficit is automatically better.
Some people make progress faster by following a more conservative deficit goal.
Experiment with different goals and follow the deficit that works for you!
I’m a moderate deficit girlie myself. I can’t do the whole huge calorie deficit thing. I like food too much for that 😂
3. Stay hydrated
Drinking enough water is essential for overall health and keeping love handles away.
Water helps in digestion, keeps you feeling full, aids in the removal of waste from the body, and boosts post-exercise recovery.
Most adults should aim to drink at least 8 cups (64 ounces) of water per day.
You can even boost the effectiveness of your water intake by adding electrolytes.
How fast do love handles go away?
Give yourself a minimum of 4 weeks to start to see visible reduction in love handles.
The love handles will go away with a consistent regimen of healthy eating and daily exercise.
For some people, the appearance of love handles may start to reduce quicker than 4 weeks. For others, it may take longer.
The key is to eat healthy, workout, and patiently watch the changes happen. Personally, I don’t recommend hyper-focusing on love handles.
It is much better to focus on the following:
- – Are you eating responsibly? (not too much, not too little)
- – Consistently exercising for at least 30 minutes daily?
- – Does your daily life have room for you to get up and move at least once every 40 minutes?
- – Do you have a handle on your sugar intake?
- – Is your sleep hitting 7.5 hours or more daily?
These are factors within your control that all contribute to losing love handles quickly.
I strongly recommend focusing on those factors. And loving your body – whatever stage or state it is in.
It’s not easy, but you can do it and Koboko Fitness is here to help you do just that.
How do I know if I have love handles?
Good news! If you’re not sure if you have love handles, then most likely you don’t have them.
But if you want to be SUPER sure, put on a fitted bodysuit and look in the mirror.
If there are 2 or more bumps on the sides of the bodysuit, then you probably have love handles.
If there are no bumps then you don’t have love handles.
Please don’t pinch your waist to do this test. Let’s leave that for the ladies in stock photos.
How long does it take to lose love handles?
Give yourself a minimum of four weeks to start to see visible results.
The exact time it will take varies from person to person, but in my experience as a personal trainer, the average time you need to SEE changes is about four weeks.
🔔Keep in mind that changes are happening in your body before this 4 week mark – especially if you’re doing my workouts.
People that do my workouts FEEL a difference immediately from the very first workout.
So exercise patience, stay consistent and you will see your love handles start to reduce.
And since 4 weeks is just the average, some people start to see results faster than that. While others see results a bit later.
Some of the factors that influence how quickly you see results are your current body weight, body fat percentage, steps taken per day, genetics, hormones. macros, quantity of food consumed on a daily basis, sleep quality, and more.
Of all these factors, the top 3 things you can control are diet, exercise and stress.
Workout Options (Love Handles Workout for Minimalists)
There are two workout options for love handles workout for minimalists in this post.
Regardless of the option you choose, please be sure to do a thorough warm up and cool down.
Here's a good multi-purpose warm up that most people can easily do.
- 20 sec jumping jacks
- 20 sec squats
- 20 sec lunges
For your cool down, I recommend doing your favorite gentle streches for at least 5 minutes.
Love Handles Workout for Minimalists Workout Video (Option 1):
Do you want to try a follow along love handles workout?
Simply press play on the video below.
It’s only 10 minutes long. You’ll be done before you know it!
Workout Video: 10 Min No Equipment Back Workout || Lose Back Fat, Underarm Flab & Bra Bulge – At Home Routine
Love Handles Workout for Minimalists (Option 2):
Do you want to try a self-paced love handles workout for minimalists workout?
I have you covered.
Follow the workout outline below.
Love Handles Workout for Minimalists: Workout Outline
⏩⏩ swipe right to see the next move
Disclaimer: This or any other exercise program may result in injury. Always consult your doctor / physician before beginning this or any other workout or exercise program. By performing any of the exercises in this program or on this site, you agree to the full disclaimer and assume ALL risks of injury from doing so. Koboko Fitness is NOT responsible or liable for any injury or loss you may sustain by participating in this workout or any exercise program. Read the full disclaimer here before you begin.
Workout Instructions (1/2)
Do each exercise for 30 seconds. Take a 10 second break between each exercise.
- knee to elbows
- Single tray taps
- penguin crunch
- quick high knees
- wide knee to elbows
Workout Instructions (2/2)
Once you complete all the exercises above as explained, take a 1 minute break, then repeat the exercises as follows
- wide knee to elbows
- quick high knees
- penguin crunch
- Single tray taps
- knee to elbows
Once you complete this second round, congratulations! Your love handles workout for minimalists workout is complete!
Want another workout? Try this love handles workout.
A few things to note:
- Whenever there are 2 exercises shown side by side, one is a lower impact modification. Always go with the lower impact version if you are a beginner or have not exercised in a long time.
- If I show an exercise that you do one leg (or arm) at a time, do the leg (or arm) shown for 15 seconds. Then do your other leg (or arm) for the remaining 15 seconds.
It’s easier for me to show you how to do it with just one arm or leg in this post. But if you’re doing my full-length follow along Premium workout videos, I always show both sides of every exercise.
Are You Ready to Make a Change?
Gentle Reminder: You’ve come this far…just keep going
Love Handles Workout for Minimalists – Printable
Do you know what is blocking your weightloss?
As a Personal Trainer for almost 10 years, I can tell you with 100% accuracy.
Take this instant quiz and find out